Medieval Booker

Church ◆ Sighișoara

The Monastery Church

The Dominicans' church, recorded from 1298, rebuilt as a late-Gothic hall church around 1500 and the Saxons' main town church since the Reformation. Go in for the Anatolian carpets: three dozen 16th- and 17th-century Turkish rugs hanging on the walls and gallery fronts of a Lutheran church, given by merchants who traded south into the Ottoman lands.

Where and when

Where
Piața Cetății, beside the Clock Tower, 545400 Sighișoara, Sighișoara, Romania Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
Dominican friary from 1298; hall church rebuilt c. 1492–1515; Lutheran parish church since 1556
Opening
The parish lists the Monastery Church as open daily 09:00–18:00, with a dated notice on the same page — the version current on 14 August 2026 said the churches were closed to tourist visits on Monday 24 August 2026. Sunday service at 10:00, when it is not a visitor attraction. Check ev-kirche-schaessburg.ro or ring +40 265 771195 (as of August 2026)
Price
15 lei per ticket, the same as the Church on the Hill, per the Evangelical parish's own visitor page (as of August 2026)
Best time
Mid-morning on a bright day: the carpets are hung high and the interior is lit by nothing but its windows.
Good for
Works in the rainQuiet corner
Map showing where The Monastery Church is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is The Monastery Church?

The Dominican friary in Sighișoara is documented from 1298. Its church was rebuilt and enlarged into a Gothic hall church in the decades either side of 1500 — two naves on a row of pillars, a plan common in Transylvanian town churches. In 1556 the friary was dissolved and its property secularised; the church passed to the Saxon Lutheran community and has been their parish church ever since. It is where the congregation still meets on Sunday mornings at 10:00. The convent buildings around it are gone: they were cleared in the 19th century and the town hall was built on the ground.

The carpets are the thing nobody expects. Transylvanian Saxon merchants bought Anatolian rugs on the trade route south through Wallachia to the Ottoman ports, and gave them to their churches as memorials — hung over the pews, along the gallery fronts and on the walls, where they stayed for four centuries because a Lutheran church had no use for painted altars and every use for a wall covering. Counts of what survives here differ: the Mureș county tourism board says 39, most of them 17th-century; other listings say 35 of the 16th and 17th centuries. Either way it is one of the significant surviving groups of Anatolian rugs outside Turkey, the largest being at the Black Church in Brașov. Stand in the middle of the nave and look up and around before you look at anything else.

The rest of the fittings are worth a slow lap. The bronze baptismal font of 1440 is the oldest object in the building. There is a stone doorframe carved in 1570 in Transylvanian Renaissance style, a Baroque altar of 1680, and a painted organ case with painted gallery panels — the loud Baroque furniture of a church that kept its Gothic bones.

It stands on the citadel square, thirty seconds from the Clock Tower, and it is the easiest thing on this list to fit into a short visit. The parish also lists summer concerts on Friday evenings at 18:00 from June to September without saying which of its two churches they are in — worth asking at the ticket desk, because this is the one with the organ gallery.

What visitors say

4.4 from 242 ratings

  • Flavien Fedelich

    5 out of 5 a month ago

    Wonderful church but 15 lei for this one maybe is too much.

    Read this review on Google
  • M

    4 out of 5 7 months ago

    Cool place. The staff here are very friendly. I actually liked this one more than the church at the top of the hill. This one has a mind blowing altar and a nazi memorial which was a surprise.

    Read this review on Google
  • Viorel Iosub

    5 out of 5 a year ago

    The Monastery Church is located in the Citadel Square not far from the Clock Tower. The church, which is built in Gothic style of the hall-churches with 2 naves and 2 rows of pillars, belonged to the Dominican Monastery. The church was restored in the 15th century and then again after the big fire of 1676. The last repairs were done in 1894 and 1929 when the church aquired its present day look. The church holds valuable objects like a bronze front dating back to 1440, a stone door frame carved in 1570 in the Transylvanian Renaissance style and built into the northern wall of the church, a collection of 17th century oriental carpets donated by merchants and a fine altar piece from 1680. The organ was built in 1680 in Baroque style by the same artists that carved and painted the altar. The organ is used even today in many concerts organized in the church. The Church can be visited for a small fee (15 lei = 3 €).

    Read this review on Google

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

Why are there Turkish carpets in a Lutheran church in Romania?

Transylvanian Saxon merchants bought Anatolian rugs on the trade routes south into Ottoman territory and donated them to their churches as memorials. Lutheran interiors had little other decoration, so the rugs were hung on walls and gallery fronts and stayed there.

How many carpets are in the Monastery Church in Sighișoara?

Published counts differ: the Mureș county tourism board says 39, mostly 17th-century, while other listings give 35 from the 16th and 17th centuries.

How old is the Monastery Church?

The Dominican friary is documented from 1298. The present hall church is a rebuilding of about 1492–1515; the friary was dissolved in 1556 and the church became the Saxon Lutheran parish church.

How much is entry to the Monastery Church?

15 lei per ticket, the same as the Church on the Hill. Both belong to the Evangelical parish, which lists them as open daily 09:00–18:00.

What is the oldest object in the church?

The bronze baptismal font of 1440. There is also a stone doorframe of 1570 in Transylvanian Renaissance style and a Baroque altar of 1680.

Festivals in Sighișoara

Medieval festivals in Sighișoara
Featured
Living History & Museums Music, Feasts & Theatre +1

Sighișoara Medieval Festival

Sighișoara, Romania

The Sighișoara Medieval Festival fills the UNESCO-listed Saxon citadel with three days of free parades, knights' displays, medieval music, theatre, crafts and concerts on the last weekend of July. First held in May 1992, it is Romania's oldest medieval festival; the 31st edition ran 24–26 July 2026.

Expected 2027
Free Family

More places in Sighișoara

Places in Sighișoara
Landmark Start here

The Clock Tower and the History Museum

Gate tower of the later 14th century; Baroque roof 1677; museum since 1899

The 64 m gate tower that has shut the citadel's main entrance since the 14th century, with the town's history museum stacked up its six floors and an open wooden gallery under the roof. Climb it for the gallery and for the figure niches beside the clock faces — but know before you go that the famous week-day gods turn once a day, at midnight.

Good with children Works in the rain
Walking directions
Church

The Church on the Hill and the Scholars' Stair

First mentioned 1345; rebuilt as a hall church 1429–1488; covered stair 1642

The Gothic hall church at the top of the citadel, rebuilt between 1429 and 1488 on a church first mentioned in 1345, reached by a roofed wooden stair of 1642 with about 175 steps. Go for the wall paintings of 1483 and 1488 that spent two centuries under limewash, and for the crypt beneath the choir — the only medieval one known in Transylvania.

Landmark

The citadel wall and the guild towers

Wall and towers 14th–17th century; nine of the original fourteen towers survive

A wall of 930 m with fourteen towers and five artillery bastions, each tower built, armed and manned by one craft guild — tailors, tinsmiths, ropemakers, butchers, furriers, bootmakers, blacksmiths, tanners. Nine towers still stand; walk the outside of the wall from the Clock Tower and find three of them, because only the Clock Tower opens and this is a walk rather than a visit.

Free or cheap Quiet corner Best in the evening
Walking directions