Medieval Booker

Church ◆ Sighișoara

The Church on the Hill and the Scholars' Stair

The Gothic hall church at the top of the citadel, rebuilt between 1429 and 1488 on a church first mentioned in 1345, reached by a roofed wooden stair of 1642 with about 175 steps. Go for the wall paintings of 1483 and 1488 that spent two centuries under limewash, and for the crypt beneath the choir — the only medieval one known in Transylvania.

Where and when

Where
Strada Școlii, top of the Scholars' Stair, 545400 Sighișoara, Sighișoara, Romania Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
First mentioned 1345; rebuilt as a hall church 1429–1488; covered stair 1642
Opening
The parish lists the Church on the Hill as open daily 09:00–18:00. The same page carries a dated notice — the version current on 14 August 2026 also said the churches were closed to tourist visits on Monday 24 August 2026 — so check ev-kirche-schaessburg.ro or ring +40 265 771195 before a Monday visit (as of August 2026)
Price
15 lei per ticket, the same for either of the Evangelical parish's two churches, per the parish's own visitor page (as of August 2026)
Best time
Late morning, then come down through the cemetery rather than back down the stair. The stair itself is worth doing in rain, which is when it makes sense.
Good for
Quiet corner
Map showing where The Church on the Hill and the Scholars' Stair is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is The Church on the Hill and the Scholars' Stair?

Start at the bottom, on Strada Școlii, and go up the Scara Școlarilor — the Scholars’ Stair, built in 1642 so that children walking to the school on the hill and the congregation walking to church could do it in snow without breaking a leg. It is a wooden tunnel with a tiled roof, climbing the hillside in one straight flight. It had about 300 steps until 1849, when the top section was removed; today the count is 175, or 176 depending on who is counting.

The church at the top was first mentioned in a document of 1345. An inscription in the building dates the great rebuilding to 1429–1488, when a basilica was reworked into a hall church: three aisles of nearly equal height, 53 m long, with a tower of 42 m on a square base 11 m a side. It was dedicated to St Nicholas. The Hungarian siege of 1704 wrecked the roof and brought the bells down, and the earthquake of 1838 destroyed the choir vaults — what you look up at over the choir is a wooden imitation of stone ribs.

The frescoes are the reason to pay. The choir and chancel arch were painted in 1483, attributed to Valentinus Pictor, who went on to become mayor of the town in 1490; the aisles followed in 1488, attributed to Jakobus Kendlinger. They were limewashed over in the 1770s, found again in 1934 and properly uncovered in the restoration campaign of the 1990s and early 2000s, paid for by the Messerschmitt Foundation and the Romanian Ministry of Culture. They survive as fragments rather than as a complete cycle. Look for St George and the dragon, told in three scenes, and the Archangel Michael weighing a soul.

Also here: a carved stone font dated 1480 under the chancel arch, a sacrament niche on the north side of the choir that Romanian art historians rank as a first-order piece of 15th-century Transylvanian carving, and an altarpiece of St Martin of 1520 attributed to Johannes Stoss, son of the Nuremberg sculptor Veit Stoss.

Under the choir is the crypt, the only medieval one known in Transylvania, holding burials of the town’s leading families from the 16th to the 18th century. It has been broken into repeatedly over the centuries by people hunting for grave goods.

What visitors say

4.6 from 983 ratings

  • Suzanne Hooker

    4 out of 5 2 months ago

    Better to go on Friday evening for the pipe organ concert since tickets are the same price as the entrance fee (15 RON).

    Read this review on Google
  • Nina M

    3 out of 5 a year ago

    Unfortunately, the church was not as interesting as we expected. Like some other churches we’ve visited, the renovations have erased much of its historical character, leaving it looking more like an amusement park than a heritage site. The ladies at the ticket counter, who also hand out printed information, were unable to tell us where the memorial to the German soldiers (located next to the church) was — we had to find it ourselves. Overall, it didn’t meet our expectations. And to be honest, if you’re short on time and don’t want to tackle a long climb through a tunnel with many stairs — which is quite demanding even for a fit person — I would not recommend it.

    Read this review on Google
  • Liviu-Cristian Mihon

    5 out of 5 a year ago

    The Church on the Hill is one of the largest Gothic churches in Transylvania and it's located on top of the highest hill in Sighișoara, at about 429 meters above sea level. The church can be visited for 15 RON (~€3) per person and the price includes a small printout that contains information about the church's history and most important exhibits that can be seen inside, including a small crypt.

    Read this review on Google

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

How many steps are on the covered stairway in Sighișoara?

About 175 today. The Scholars' Stair was built in 1642 with roughly 300 steps; the upper section was removed in 1849. Counts published today give 175 or 176.

How much does the Church on the Hill cost to enter?

15 lei per ticket, as published by the Evangelical parish that owns it. The same price covers the Monastery Church down in the citadel square.

Can you visit the crypt at the Church on the Hill?

The crypt lies beneath the choir and is the only medieval crypt known in Transylvania, with burials of leading townsmen from the 16th to the 18th century. Access is at the parish's discretion — ask at the desk when you buy your ticket.

How old are the frescoes in the Church on the Hill?

The choir and chancel arch were painted in 1483 and the aisles in 1488. They were limewashed over in the 1770s, rediscovered in 1934 and uncovered in the restoration of the 1990s and early 2000s.

Why was the covered stairway built?

To get schoolchildren and churchgoers up the hill to the school and the church in bad weather. It was built in 1642 and roofed along its whole length.

Festivals in Sighișoara

Medieval festivals in Sighișoara
Featured
Living History & Museums Music, Feasts & Theatre +1

Sighișoara Medieval Festival

Sighișoara, Romania

The Sighișoara Medieval Festival fills the UNESCO-listed Saxon citadel with three days of free parades, knights' displays, medieval music, theatre, crafts and concerts on the last weekend of July. First held in May 1992, it is Romania's oldest medieval festival; the 31st edition ran 24–26 July 2026.

Expected 2027
Free Family

More places in Sighișoara

Places in Sighișoara
Landmark Start here

The Clock Tower and the History Museum

Gate tower of the later 14th century; Baroque roof 1677; museum since 1899

The 64 m gate tower that has shut the citadel's main entrance since the 14th century, with the town's history museum stacked up its six floors and an open wooden gallery under the roof. Climb it for the gallery and for the figure niches beside the clock faces — but know before you go that the famous week-day gods turn once a day, at midnight.

Good with children Works in the rain
Walking directions
Landmark

The citadel wall and the guild towers

Wall and towers 14th–17th century; nine of the original fourteen towers survive

A wall of 930 m with fourteen towers and five artillery bastions, each tower built, armed and manned by one craft guild — tailors, tinsmiths, ropemakers, butchers, furriers, bootmakers, blacksmiths, tanners. Nine towers still stand; walk the outside of the wall from the Clock Tower and find three of them, because only the Clock Tower opens and this is a walk rather than a visit.

Free or cheap Quiet corner Best in the evening
Walking directions
Church

The Monastery Church

Dominican friary from 1298; hall church rebuilt c. 1492–1515; Lutheran parish church since 1556

The Dominicans' church, recorded from 1298, rebuilt as a late-Gothic hall church around 1500 and the Saxons' main town church since the Reformation. Go in for the Anatolian carpets: three dozen 16th- and 17th-century Turkish rugs hanging on the walls and gallery fronts of a Lutheran church, given by merchants who traded south into the Ottoman lands.

Works in the rain Quiet corner
Walking directions