Medieval Booker

Church ◆ Turku

Turku Cathedral

Finland's national shrine, consecrated on 17 June 1300, and closed. The whole building is shut to visitors from 9 February 2026 until 2 December 2028 for a full renovation, so plan on the outside of it and nothing more.

Where and when

Where
Tuomiokirkonkatu 1, 20500 Turku, Turku, Finland Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
Consecrated 17 June 1300; enlarged through the 15th century; tower rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1827
Opening
CLOSED to all visitors 9 February 2026 – 2 December 2028 for a full renovation; no events are held inside. The Cathedral Museum closed on 30 September 2025. Sunday services are at St Martin's Church. Completion is targeted for Advent, 3 December 2028 (as of August 2026)
Price
Entry to the cathedral was free when it was open, with a small separate charge for the Cathedral Museum. Nothing is on sale during the closure (as of August 2026)
Best time
Not before December 2028. Until then, the exterior from Tuomiokirkontori in low afternoon light, with the Old Great Square two minutes away.
Good for
Free or cheap
Official site
turunseurakunnat.fi
Map showing where Turku Cathedral is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is Turku Cathedral?

The bishop’s seat moved down from Koroinen in the 1290s and the new cathedral was consecrated on 17 June 1300, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and to St Henry, the first bishop of Finland. What began as a wooden church was rebuilt in grey fieldstone and brick and enlarged for two centuries: a new choir with octagonal Gothic pillars in the 14th century, side chapels added along both sides of the nave in the 15th until there were more than forty, and the roof vaults raised to about 24 m late in the same century. Mikael Agricola, who gave Finnish its written form and translated the New Testament in 1548, went to school here and became bishop of Turku in 1554.

It is a burial church. Blessed Bishop Hemming (d. 1366) lies here; so does Karin Månsdotter (1550–1612), the soldier’s daughter who became Erik XIV’s queen and outlived him by forty years, in a black marble sarcophagus. So do the cavalry commander Torsten Stålhandske (d. 1644) and the Scottish mercenary Samuel Cockburn (d. 1621).

Be honest about 1827. The Great Fire took roughly three-quarters of Turku and it reached the cathedral: the tower and the interior were badly damaged. The stone body of the church is medieval, but the spire above you is the post-fire rebuild, standing 101 m above sea level, and most of what you would see inside is 19th-century fitting-out of a medieval shell.

And you cannot see any of it. The parish has closed the cathedral completely from 9 February 2026 to 2 December 2028 for a full renovation — the building services date from the 1970s overhaul and have reached the end of their life, and the works also cover accessibility. During the closure the cathedral cannot be visited and no events are held in it. The Cathedral Museum in the south gallery, which held material from the early 1300s onward, closed earlier, on 30 September 2025, and will reopen with a new display when the works finish. Sunday services of the cathedral parish are held at St Martin’s Church. Completion is targeted for Advent, 3 December 2028.

So: walk the churchyard, look at the brick east end and the stepped gables from Tuomiokirkontori, and go two minutes west to the Old Great Square. The noon bells have been broadcast on Finnish national radio daily since 1944; nothing published says whether they ring through the works.

What visitors say

4.6 from 4,900 ratings

  • David Ross

    4 out of 5 2 months ago

    The Cathedral is currently being renovated, with an expected completion date of Christmas 2028. Either swing by for a quick look at the exterior with its impressive 101 metre tower, or wait for the grand reopening. Because it wasi closed, it scores a 4 with us, but many others who visited inside before renovations started scored it a 5. Some details: it was consecrated in 1300 and parts go back to the 1200s. Originally built of wood and then vastly expanded in gray stone and clay bricks over the next two centuries, it suffered tremendous damage during the Great Fire of Turku in 1827.Much of what is seen now dates from that period.

    Read this review on Google
  • Paul Ciprian

    4 out of 5 5 months ago

    A massive, imposing church, with simple, unspectacular architecture. Facade, undecorated, simple. The interior, as a whole, is not very decorated, except for the altar, which is really beautiful and some apses, also beautifully decorated. Unfortunately, you can't climb the tower in the cold season, I don't know why.

    Read this review on Google
  • Ashenafi Legehar

    5 out of 5 5 months ago

    Its peaceful and astonishing architectural design. Its open every day between 9:00-18:00. I recommend to visit if you are visiting Turku.

    Read this review on Google

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

Can you visit Turku Cathedral in 2026?

No. The cathedral is closed to visitors from 9 February 2026 until 2 December 2028 for a full renovation, and no events are held inside during the works. The Cathedral Museum closed separately on 30 September 2025.

When does Turku Cathedral reopen?

The parish gives 2 December 2028 as the end of the closure and targets completion for Advent, 3 December 2028.

How old is Turku Cathedral?

It was consecrated on 17 June 1300, after the bishop's seat moved to Turku from Koroinen in the 1290s, and it was rebuilt and enlarged in grey stone and brick through the 14th and 15th centuries.

Who is buried in Turku Cathedral?

Among others, Blessed Bishop Hemming (d. 1366); Karin Månsdotter (1550–1612), the soldier's daughter who married Erik XIV and became queen of Sweden, in a black marble sarcophagus; the cavalry commander Torsten Stålhandske (d. 1644); and the Scottish mercenary Samuel Cockburn (d. 1621).

Did the cathedral survive the Great Fire of 1827?

It stood, but barely. The fire destroyed roughly three-quarters of the town and badly damaged the cathedral's tower and interior. The stone body of the church is medieval; the spire above it is the post-fire rebuild and reaches 101 m above sea level.

Festivals in Turku

Medieval festivals in Turku
Featured
Medieval Markets & Fairs Living History & Museums +1

Turku Medieval Market

Turku, Finland

The Medieval Market of Turku fills the Old Great Square and surrounding streets with four days of free market stalls, craft demonstrations, music and a daily street play every year at the end of June. Held since 1996, it is Finland's largest medieval event, with attendance reported at well over 100,000.

Expected 2027
Free Family

More places in Turku

Places in Turku
Castle Start here

Turku Castle

Begun c. 1280; keep finished early 15th century; Renaissance bailey and floors 1556–63

Begun about 1280 at the mouth of the Aura and the largest surviving medieval building in Finland: a grey granite keep with a Renaissance bailey built around it in the 16th century. Find the Nun's Chapel in the old castle — it holds a 14th-century painting of the Virgin by the Master of Lieto, the oldest object in the building.

Good with children Works in the rain
Walking directions
Museum

Aboa Vetus Ars Nova

Medieval Convent Quarter; merchant-house cellars of the 14th and 15th centuries, excavated in the early 1990s and shown in situ

The only archaeological museum in Finland: a block of medieval cellars and one of Turku's main medieval streets, excavated under the Rettig Palace and left exactly where they were found. Ask for the €14 Aboa Vetus-only ticket if you do not want the contemporary art half, and come on a Monday, when the castle and Luostarinmäki are shut and this is open.

Works in the rain Good with children
Walking directions
Church

St Catherine's Church, Nummi

Parish first recorded 1309; present greystone church built 1440s–1450s; vault paintings c. 1470–1490

A medieval greystone parish church north-east of the centre, well outside the 1827 fire zone, with vault paintings of about 1470–1490 and a wooden St Catherine of Alexandria carved in the 14th century. It opens as a road church with a guide on duty from 8 June to 7 August 2026, weekdays 12:00–17:00 only — outside that window you will find the door locked.

Free or cheap Quiet corner
Walking directions