Medieval Booker

Museum ◆ Turku

Luostarinmäki Museum Quarter

The only continuous district of wooden houses that escaped the Great Fire of 1827, still standing on its original plots on the hillside east of the river. Nothing here is medieval — the houses are 18th and early 19th century — but in summer there are craftspeople working in the workshops, and that is the reason to buy the €12 ticket.

Where and when

Where
Vartiovuorenkatu 2, 20700 Turku, Turku, Finland Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
Wooden artisan quarter of the 18th and early 19th centuries; the only continuous district of Turku to survive the Great Fire of 1827
Opening
Tue–Sun 10:00–18:00 from 1 June to 30 August; Tue–Sun 10:00–17:00 from 31 August to 20 September; closed from 21 September until 8 December, then Tue–Sun 10:00–17:00 to 31 December. Closed Mondays; closed 24–25 December; 10:00–15:00 on 23 and 31 December. Last admission 30 minutes before closing (as of August 2026)
Price
Adult €12, child 7–15 €5, concession (student, pensioner, unemployed, conscript) €6, family (1–2 adults + 2–4 children) €29; groups of 10+ get 25% off, school groups €3 per person. Free with the Finnish Museum Card or an ICOM card (as of August 2026)
Best time
Between June and 20 September, when the workshops are working. Allow an hour and a half for the yards.
Good for
Good with childrenQuiet corner
Official site
luostarinmaki.fi
Map showing where Luostarinmäki Museum Quarter is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is Luostarinmäki Museum Quarter?

Start with what this is not. Luostarinmäki is not medieval. The houses are 18th and 19th century, more than two hundred years old, and the earliest documented residents — a cobbler, sailors, plank carriers, packers and guards — are of the 1700s. If you came to Turku for the Middle Ages, the castle and Aboa Vetus are where the Middle Ages are.

What it is, is the exception to the thing that explains modern Turku. In September 1827 a fire destroyed most of Finland’s oldest city; the centre you walk through today is a 19th-century grid laid over the ashes. Luostarinmäki, up the slope on the east bank, is the only continuous district of wooden houses that escaped it, and the buildings are still on the plots they were built on. Walking the yards and passages between them is the closest anyone can now get to the shape of the town that burned — narrow, wooden, dense and low. The museum’s own Luostarinmäki 1827 display fills in the rest with 360-degree reconstructions of the streets that went.

The craft is the second reason, and it is the one that matters for anyone who cares about how pre-industrial towns actually worked. The quarter is laid out as artisans’ dwellings with their workshops, and in summer the workshops are in use: goods are made on site and sold, from hand-thrown pottery to silver jewellery. There is also a mid-19th-century huckster’s shop selling sweets in paper cones, which is the correct thing to do with children at the halfway point.

The season is the catch and it is severe. Luostarinmäki opens 1 June to 20 September and then again only 8–31 December for Christmas. From 21 September to 7 December, and for the whole of January to May, it is shut. It is also closed on Mondays all year, as Turku Castle is — Aboa Vetus is the Monday answer.

Adult admission is €12, which is the cheapest substantial site in this list, and it is free on the Finnish Museum Card.

What visitors say

4.6 from 2,298 ratings

  • Herminarti Herminarti

    5 out of 5 a month ago

    Step back in time at Luostarinmäki, Turku’s unique open-air museum, where historic wooden houses, traditional craftsmanship, and Finnish cultural heritage come to life. A must-visit destination for history lovers and curious travelers alike.

    Read this review on Google
  • Tibor

    5 out of 5 a month ago

    Luostarinmäki Museum Quarter: This open-air museum preserves the only part of Turku that survived the Great Fire of 1827, so you’re walking through an original neighborhood rather than a reconstruction. It offers a glimpse into everyday life in old Finland, with wooden houses, courtyards and workshops showing how different craftsmen lived and worked, including silversmiths, leatherworkers, bakers, carpenters and many others. In some workshops, staff dressed in period clothing demonstrate traditional crafts, making the visit feel much more authentic. There are regular guided tours that provide extra historical context, but it’s just as enjoyable to wander around at your own pace. I spent about 1–1.5 hours here and felt it was time well spent.

    Read this review on Google
  • David Ross

    4 out of 5 a month ago

    We visited over Easter weekend when the Museum Quarter was open (regular opening waits until early May). As we toured we saw lots of interpretive information about the post-fire efforts to preserve the district, but surprisingly little about the buildings themselves. It’s clearly a place for families, and a highlight was the demonstration of traditional Easter egg decoration. The map we received to navigate the village was helpful. It’s nice to see a historic district preserved in the heart of the city, because many other similar outdoor museums are out of town.

    Read this review on Google

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

Is Luostarinmäki medieval?

No. The houses are 18th and early 19th century. It is worth visiting because it is the only continuous district of wooden houses that survived the Great Fire of 1827, so it is the only place left where you can stand in the town that burned.

When is Luostarinmäki open?

Tuesday to Sunday: 10:00–18:00 from 1 June to 30 August, 10:00–17:00 from 31 August to 20 September, and again 10:00–17:00 from 8 to 31 December. It is closed on Mondays and shut altogether from 21 September to 7 December and from January to May.

Are there really craftspeople working there?

In summer, yes — goods are made in the museum's workshops and sold on site, from hand-thrown pottery to silver jewellery. Outside the summer season the buildings are shown without them.

How much does Luostarinmäki cost?

€12 adult, €6 concession, €5 child 7–15 and €29 family as of August 2026, and free with the Finnish Museum Card or an ICOM card.

Are the buildings on their original sites?

Yes. Unlike most open-air museums, nothing was moved here — the houses stand on the plots they were built on, which is why the layout of yards and passages is the real one.

Festivals in Turku

Medieval festivals in Turku
Featured
Medieval Markets & Fairs Living History & Museums +1

Turku Medieval Market

Turku, Finland

The Medieval Market of Turku fills the Old Great Square and surrounding streets with four days of free market stalls, craft demonstrations, music and a daily street play every year at the end of June. Held since 1996, it is Finland's largest medieval event, with attendance reported at well over 100,000.

Expected 2027
Free Family

More places in Turku

Places in Turku
Castle Start here

Turku Castle

Begun c. 1280; keep finished early 15th century; Renaissance bailey and floors 1556–63

Begun about 1280 at the mouth of the Aura and the largest surviving medieval building in Finland: a grey granite keep with a Renaissance bailey built around it in the 16th century. Find the Nun's Chapel in the old castle — it holds a 14th-century painting of the Virgin by the Master of Lieto, the oldest object in the building.

Good with children Works in the rain
Walking directions
Museum

Aboa Vetus Ars Nova

Medieval Convent Quarter; merchant-house cellars of the 14th and 15th centuries, excavated in the early 1990s and shown in situ

The only archaeological museum in Finland: a block of medieval cellars and one of Turku's main medieval streets, excavated under the Rettig Palace and left exactly where they were found. Ask for the €14 Aboa Vetus-only ticket if you do not want the contemporary art half, and come on a Monday, when the castle and Luostarinmäki are shut and this is open.

Works in the rain Good with children
Walking directions
Church

Turku Cathedral

Consecrated 17 June 1300; enlarged through the 15th century; tower rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1827

Finland's national shrine, consecrated on 17 June 1300, and closed. The whole building is shut to visitors from 9 February 2026 until 2 December 2028 for a full renovation, so plan on the outside of it and nothing more.

Free or cheap
Walking directions