Medieval Booker

Castle ◆ Provins

Tour César

The 12th-century keep of the counts of Champagne, built as an octagon standing on a square base — a plan with no known parallel anywhere. Climb it for the guardroom at the crossing point of the wall passages, and for the roof walk, which lays out the whole fair town: the ramparts, Saint-Quiriace, and the plain the cloth carts came across.

Where and when

Where
Rue de la Pie, 77160 Provins (Ville Haute), Provins, France Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
12th century, probably after 1150, under the counts of Champagne; roof 16th–17th century
Opening
28 March–1 November daily 10:00–18:00; 2 January–27 March and 2 November–31 December weekends, public holidays and French school holidays (zones B and C) 10:30–17:00. Last admission 15 minutes before closing. Closed 1 January and 25 December (as of August 2026)
Price
€5 adult, €3 child 4–12, free under 4; included in the Pass Provins (from €9.50, adult €16 online / €17 on site) (as of August 2026)
Best time
First thing, before the coach groups reach the upper town, or late afternoon for the light across the Brie plain from the roof.
Good for
Good with childrenFree or cheap
Official site
provins.net
Map showing where Tour César is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is Tour César?

The counts of Champagne raised this keep in the 12th century, probably after 1150 under Henri le Libéral, as the strongpoint of the upper town and the visible sign of who collected the tolls at the fairs. Its shape is the thing specialists come for: a square base carrying an octagonal upper stage, with four corner turrets left standing on the corners of the square — the only donjon of that plan known. It was a watchtower, a refuge and a prison.

Inside, the route climbs through the building rather than round it. The lower hall is a vaulted store. Above it the salle des gardes is where every passage in the tower meets: from here the garrison could reach the turrets, the wall galleries and the cells. Look for the narrow corridors cut inside the thickness of the wall, and the openings down into the dungeons — prisoners were held in the dark, and the tower was still in use as a gaol long after it stopped being a fortress. One chamber was fitted out for the governor and has its own latrine, which is a good deal more comfort than the men below him got.

The tower has no medieval roof. It stood open to the sky until the 16th–17th century, when the present pyramid was put on; and in 1689, after the bell tower of the collegiate church of Saint-Quiriace collapsed, the bells were moved here. They still ring, from inside the building you are standing in, which is worth timing your visit around.

At the base is a broad skirt of masonry the townspeople call the pâté aux Anglais — an artillery casing thrown up around the keep by the English garrison that held Provins during the Hundred Years’ War, after the siege of 1432. It is the one part of the monument built by the occupiers.

The visit takes about 35 minutes, with a QR-code audio guide of around 25 minutes. Access is from rue de la Pie, a two-minute walk from Place du Châtel. Dogs are not admitted.

What visitors say

4.5 from 4,586 ratings

  • Stimpy Goat

    5 out of 5 a month ago

    Definitely worth a trip, both for the views of Provins and to see the amazing bell tower.

    Read this review on Google
  • David Smith

    5 out of 5 2 months ago

    Excellent and unusual tower with great views. An audio guide is provided in various languages which helps the experience. Very steep and narrow stairs. A small admission fee applies, or if you have time to see multiple sites in town, get the Provins Pass.

    Read this review on Google
  • Cherifi Mohammed El Amine

    5 out of 5 5 months ago

    The visit was cool, we really enjoyed the place the historical scenes were really nice, the host was a wonderful and patient person , I advise you to pay it a visit you won't regret it

    Read this review on Google

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

How much does the Tour César cost?

€5 for an adult and €3 for a child aged 4–12 as of August 2026, free under 4. It is also one of the five monuments on the Pass Provins, which is €16 online or €17 on site for an adult.

What is unusual about the Tour César?

It is an octagonal keep built on a square base, with turrets on the four corners of the square — a plan that is not known anywhere else. It was built in the 12th century by the counts of Champagne.

What is the 'pâté aux Anglais'?

The thick masonry skirt around the foot of the tower, built by the English garrison that held Provins during the Hundred Years' War, after the siege of 1432, to carry artillery.

How long does the visit take?

About 35 minutes, including a QR-code audio guide of roughly 25 minutes. Headphones are available at the entrance.

Why are the bells of Saint-Quiriace in the Tour César?

The collegiate church's bell tower collapsed in 1689, and the bells were rehoused in the keep. They still ring from it through the day.

Festivals in Provins

Medieval festivals in Provins
Featured
Medieval Markets & Fairs Music, Feasts & Theatre +1

Les Médiévales de Provins

Provins, France

Les Médiévales de Provins turn the UNESCO-listed upper town into a two-day medieval fair each June, with a market of around 320 stalls, tournaments, a Saturday-night ball and concert and a Sunday parade of about 700 costumed participants. Held since 1984, it attracted 120,000 visitors in 2025, the largest attendance of any medieval festival in France.

Expected 2027
Family

More places in Provins

Places in Provins
Museum

Grange aux Dîmes

Built 13th century as a merchant's house; leased to Toulouse merchants in 1223; listed monument since 1847

A 13th-century merchant's house on rue Saint-Jean, rented by traders from Toulouse in 1223 and later used to store the tithe, which is where the misleading name comes from. The audio guide walks you through the trades of the Champagne fairs — the money-changer, the Flemish cloth merchant, the letter-writer — so do this one before anything else in Provins.

Works in the rain Good with children Free or cheap
Walking directions
Landmark

The Ramparts and the Porte Saint-Jean

11th–13th centuries; about 1.2 km survives of an original circuit of some 5 km

About 1.2 km of 11th–13th-century wall along the west and north front of the upper town, 25 m high in places, with the Porte Saint-Jean and the Porte de Jouy still closing the two roads in. It is free and open at every hour: walk the outside first, along the allée des Remparts under the towers, then climb onto the wall from the inside at either gate.

Free or cheap Best in the evening Quiet corner
Walking directions
Experience

Les Souterrains de Provins

Quarried for fuller's earth in the cloth-making period; reused as fair storage from the 12th–13th centuries onward

A network of vaulted galleries cut under the upper town, quarried for the fuller's earth that scoured grease out of woollen cloth and then reused as fair-time storage, hiding places and meeting rooms. Guided only, 45 minutes, 25 people maximum — book, and take a layer, because it sits at 13°C all year.

Works in the rain Good with children
Walking directions