Medieval Booker

Museum ◆ Provins

Grange aux Dîmes

A 13th-century merchant's house on rue Saint-Jean, rented by traders from Toulouse in 1223 and later used to store the tithe, which is where the misleading name comes from. The audio guide walks you through the trades of the Champagne fairs — the money-changer, the Flemish cloth merchant, the letter-writer — so do this one before anything else in Provins.

Where and when

Where
3 rue Saint-Jean, 77160 Provins (Ville Haute), Provins, France Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
Built 13th century as a merchant's house; leased to Toulouse merchants in 1223; listed monument since 1847
Opening
28 March–30 August daily 10:00–18:00; 31 August–1 November weekends and public holidays 10:00–18:00, weekdays 14:00–18:00; rest of the year weekends, public holidays and French school holidays 14:00–17:00. Closed 1 January and 25 December (as of August 2026)
Price
€5 adult, €3 child 4–12, free under 4; included in the Pass Provins (from €9.50) (as of August 2026)
Best time
Do it first, on your way up rue Saint-Jean from the Porte Saint-Jean — everything else in the upper town makes more sense afterwards.
Good for
Works in the rainGood with childrenFree or cheap
Official site
provins.net
Map showing where Grange aux Dîmes is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is Grange aux Dîmes?

This is the building that explains the town. Provins hosted two of the six annual Champagne fairs, the May fair of Saint-Quiriace and the September fair of Saint-Ayoul, where Flemish cloth was sold to Italian buyers and settled by Italian bankers, and where the prices agreed set rates across Europe. The Grange aux Dîmes is what that machinery looked like as a building.

It was put up in the 13th century as a merchant’s house with three working levels — a vaulted cellar for goods, a shop or covered hall at street level, and living quarters above. Surviving leases show it was rented out to merchants from Toulouse in 1223, which is about as direct a piece of evidence for the fair economy as a building can give you. The cellar is the best room: cross-ribbed vaults on squat columns with foliage capitals, the standard high-status storage of the fair town. The “tithe barn” name is a later accident — in the 16th and 17th centuries the building was used to store the harvest tax, and the name stuck.

The permanent display is a set of costumed figures set out through the levels, each with an audio-guided commentary: the Italian merchant, the Provins wool-cloth merchant, the money-changer, the Flemish merchant, the écrivain public who wrote letters and contracts for people who could not, and craftsmen — a potter, a stone cutter, a parchment maker. It is frankly old-fashioned museography, mannequins and voices rather than objects, and it is nonetheless the clearest account of how a medieval international fair actually worked that you will get in France for €5.

Allow about 35 minutes. The audio guide is handed out against an identity document, so carry one. The building stands on rue Saint-Jean between Place du Châtel and the Porte Saint-Jean, on the street the fair traffic used.

What visitors say

4.4 from 469 ratings

  • David Smith

    5 out of 5 2 months ago

    Nice place to spend half an hour learning about the importance of Provins in medieval commerce. Audio guides are provided in various languages and are informative. A small admission fee applies, or if you have time to see multiple sites in town, get the Provins Pass.

    Read this review on Google
  • Sidiki Thomas

    5 out of 5 5 months ago

    So cool to visit this medieval city

    Read this review on Google
  • sandra smithson

    5 out of 5 a year ago

    A fascinating potted history of the beautiful old town of Provins. The display is well put together and the audio guide is full of useful info, well worth the visit

    Read this review on Google

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

What is the Grange aux Dîmes in Provins?

A 13th-century stone merchant's house on rue Saint-Jean, built with a vaulted cellar, a ground-floor hall and living quarters above. It was rented by merchants from Toulouse in 1223 and only became a tithe store — the source of its name — in the 16th and 17th centuries.

What can you see inside?

An audio-guided display of the trades of the Champagne fairs: the Italian merchant, the Provins cloth merchant, the money-changer, the Flemish merchant, the public letter-writer, and craftsmen including a potter, a stone cutter and a parchment maker.

How much does the Grange aux Dîmes cost?

€5 for an adult and €3 for a child aged 4–12 as of August 2026, free under 4, or included in the Pass Provins.

Do I need to bring anything for the audio guide?

Yes — an identity document is asked for as a deposit when the audio guide is issued.

How long does the visit take?

About 35 minutes with the audio guide.

Festivals in Provins

Medieval festivals in Provins
Featured
Medieval Markets & Fairs Music, Feasts & Theatre +1

Les Médiévales de Provins

Provins, France

Les Médiévales de Provins turn the UNESCO-listed upper town into a two-day medieval fair each June, with a market of around 320 stalls, tournaments, a Saturday-night ball and concert and a Sunday parade of about 700 costumed participants. Held since 1984, it attracted 120,000 visitors in 2025, the largest attendance of any medieval festival in France.

Expected 2027
Family

More places in Provins

Places in Provins
Castle Start here

Tour César

12th century, probably after 1150, under the counts of Champagne; roof 16th–17th century

The 12th-century keep of the counts of Champagne, built as an octagon standing on a square base — a plan with no known parallel anywhere. Climb it for the guardroom at the crossing point of the wall passages, and for the roof walk, which lays out the whole fair town: the ramparts, Saint-Quiriace, and the plain the cloth carts came across.

Good with children Free or cheap
Walking directions
Landmark

The Ramparts and the Porte Saint-Jean

11th–13th centuries; about 1.2 km survives of an original circuit of some 5 km

About 1.2 km of 11th–13th-century wall along the west and north front of the upper town, 25 m high in places, with the Porte Saint-Jean and the Porte de Jouy still closing the two roads in. It is free and open at every hour: walk the outside first, along the allée des Remparts under the towers, then climb onto the wall from the inside at either gate.

Free or cheap Best in the evening Quiet corner
Walking directions
Experience

Les Souterrains de Provins

Quarried for fuller's earth in the cloth-making period; reused as fair storage from the 12th–13th centuries onward

A network of vaulted galleries cut under the upper town, quarried for the fuller's earth that scoured grease out of woollen cloth and then reused as fair-time storage, hiding places and meeting rooms. Guided only, 45 minutes, 25 people maximum — book, and take a layer, because it sits at 13°C all year.

Works in the rain Good with children
Walking directions