Medieval Booker

Experience ◆ Provins

Les Souterrains de Provins

A network of vaulted galleries cut under the upper town, quarried for the fuller's earth that scoured grease out of woollen cloth and then reused as fair-time storage, hiding places and meeting rooms. Guided only, 45 minutes, 25 people maximum — book, and take a layer, because it sits at 13°C all year.

Where and when

Where
3 rue Saint-Thibault, 77160 Provins (Hôtel-Dieu, Ville Haute), Provins, France Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
Quarried for fuller's earth in the cloth-making period; reused as fair storage from the 12th–13th centuries onward
Opening
Guided tours only, about 45 minutes, maximum 25 people. French tours year round. English tours as of August 2026: 28 Mar–3 Jul weekends, public holidays and bridging days 14:30; 4 Jul–30 Aug weekdays 14:00, weekends and holidays 14:30 plus 11:45; 31 Aug–1 Nov weekends, public holidays and bridging days 14:30. Booking recommended
Price
€6 adult, €4 child 4–12, free under 4; included in the Pass Provins (from €9.50) (as of August 2026)
Best time
In a heatwave or in the rain — the temperature underground does not move. Book the English slot ahead in July and August; there is only one or two a day.
Good for
Works in the rainGood with children
Official site
provins.net
Map showing where Les Souterrains de Provins is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is Les Souterrains de Provins?

Provins was a cloth town before it was anything else, and the galleries under the upper town are a by-product of that. The accepted explanation is that they began as quarries for terre à foulon — fuller’s earth, the absorbent clay used to degrease and thicken woollen cloth. The Provins cloth trade needed it in quantity, and digging it out of the hillside left voids.

What happened next is where it gets interesting. The cavities were kept, extended, joined up and reused. During the Champagne fairs they served as storage for wool and cloth, out of the weather and out of sight. They were used as refuges in bad centuries, as places of worship, and — on the evidence of the graffiti cut into the soft chalk — as meeting places for the town’s freemasons in later periods. Documentation is thin, which the tourist office says plainly rather than papering over; a good part of the tour is the guide telling you what is known, what is inferred and what is a story.

The entrance is at 3 rue Saint-Thibault, in the Hôtel-Dieu — itself a former palace of the counts of Champagne — and the visit drops from the building into the rock beneath the upper town. The signatures, marks and carvings on the walls are the thing to look at; bring your eyes down to hand height.

Practicalities matter here more than anywhere else in Provins. Visits are guided only, capped at 25 people, and last about 45 minutes. French tours run all year. English tours are seasonal: as of August 2026, 28 March–3 July at 14:30 on weekends, public holidays and bridging days; 4 July–30 August on weekdays at 14:00 and weekends and holidays at 14:30 with an extra 11:45 slot; 31 August–1 November at 14:30 on weekends, public holidays and bridging days. Booking is strongly advised on +33 1 64 60 26 26 or online. It is a constant 13°C underground whatever the weather above, so take something with sleeves. Animals are not admitted.

What visitors say

4.5 from 1,395 ratings

  • louisa collett

    5 out of 5 3 weeks ago

    Excellent English language tour. Very informative. Went with Provins Pass which is great value.

    Read this review on Google
  • Ronny Malone

    5 out of 5 a month ago

    Very cool on a hot day. Interesting place

    Read this review on Google
  • David Smith

    5 out of 5 2 months ago

    I really enjoyed this exploration of basements and tunnels beneath Provins. It’s a half hour tour only in French. A small admission fee applies, or if you have time to see multiple sites in town, get the Provins Pass. If you have the Provins Pass you still need to book a time slot for the tour.

    Read this review on Google

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

Can you visit the Provins underground galleries without a guide?

No. Access is by guided tour only, about 45 minutes long, with a maximum of 25 people per group. Booking is recommended.

Are there tours in English?

Yes, but seasonally. As of August 2026 English departures run from late March to 1 November, mostly at 14:30 on weekends and public holidays, with weekday 14:00 departures and an extra 11:45 slot in July and August. French tours run all year.

How cold is it underground?

A constant 13°C in every season. Take a layer with sleeves even in August.

What were the souterrains used for?

They are thought to have started as quarries for fuller's earth, used to degrease woollen cloth. Later they served as storage during the Champagne fairs, as hiding places and places of worship, and — on the evidence of graffiti — as meeting places for the town's freemasons.

How much does it cost?

€6 for an adult and €4 for a child aged 4–12 as of August 2026, free under 4, or included in the Pass Provins.

Festivals in Provins

Medieval festivals in Provins
Featured
Medieval Markets & Fairs Music, Feasts & Theatre +1

Les Médiévales de Provins

Provins, France

Les Médiévales de Provins turn the UNESCO-listed upper town into a two-day medieval fair each June, with a market of around 320 stalls, tournaments, a Saturday-night ball and concert and a Sunday parade of about 700 costumed participants. Held since 1984, it attracted 120,000 visitors in 2025, the largest attendance of any medieval festival in France.

Expected 2027
Family

More places in Provins

Places in Provins
Castle Start here

Tour César

12th century, probably after 1150, under the counts of Champagne; roof 16th–17th century

The 12th-century keep of the counts of Champagne, built as an octagon standing on a square base — a plan with no known parallel anywhere. Climb it for the guardroom at the crossing point of the wall passages, and for the roof walk, which lays out the whole fair town: the ramparts, Saint-Quiriace, and the plain the cloth carts came across.

Good with children Free or cheap
Walking directions
Museum

Grange aux Dîmes

Built 13th century as a merchant's house; leased to Toulouse merchants in 1223; listed monument since 1847

A 13th-century merchant's house on rue Saint-Jean, rented by traders from Toulouse in 1223 and later used to store the tithe, which is where the misleading name comes from. The audio guide walks you through the trades of the Champagne fairs — the money-changer, the Flemish cloth merchant, the letter-writer — so do this one before anything else in Provins.

Works in the rain Good with children Free or cheap
Walking directions
Landmark

The Ramparts and the Porte Saint-Jean

11th–13th centuries; about 1.2 km survives of an original circuit of some 5 km

About 1.2 km of 11th–13th-century wall along the west and north front of the upper town, 25 m high in places, with the Porte Saint-Jean and the Porte de Jouy still closing the two roads in. It is free and open at every hour: walk the outside first, along the allée des Remparts under the towers, then climb onto the wall from the inside at either gate.

Free or cheap Best in the evening Quiet corner
Walking directions