Medieval Booker

Church ◆ Provins

Prieuré Saint-Ayoul

The Benedictine priory in the lower town that gave its name to Provins' September fair, and where Peter Abelard took refuge in 1122 after his condemnation at Soissons. The audio-guided visit takes about 45 minutes and gets you into the cloister, the chapter house and a chapel whose great apse is set deliberately off the axis of the church.

Where and when

Where
1 Cour des Bénédictins, 77160 Provins (lower town), Provins, France Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
Priory founded 1048; rebuilt after the fire of 1157; apse c. 1280
Opening
28 March–30 August daily 10:00–18:00; 31 August–1 November weekends and public holidays 10:00–18:00, weekdays 14:00–18:00; 2 January–27 March and 2 November–31 December weekends, public holidays and French school holidays (zones B and C) 14:00–17:00. Last entry 15 minutes before closing. Closed 1 January and 25 December (as of August 2026)
Price
€5 adult, €3 child 4–12; included in the Pass Provins (from €9.50) (as of August 2026)
Best time
On the way to or from the station — it is in the lower town, roughly halfway between the trains and the walled upper town, so it costs you no extra walking.
Good for
Quiet cornerWorks in the rainFree or cheap
Official site
provins.net
Map showing where Prieuré Saint-Ayoul is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is Prieuré Saint-Ayoul?

Provins ran two of the six Champagne fairs a year. The May fair was Saint-Quiriace’s, up in the walled town; the September fair was Saint-Ayoul’s, and it was held down here, around this priory, in the lower town by the Durteint. If you want to understand why Provins has two centres rather than one, this is the building that explains it.

The priory grew out of relics. Bones hidden in 845 were rediscovered in 996, identified as those of Saint Aigulphe — Ayoul — and a priory was founded in 1048, held as a dependency of the abbey of Montier-la-Celle near Troyes. Fire partly destroyed it in 1157 and it was rebuilt at once, which is why the surviving fabric is early Gothic.

In 1122 the priory sheltered its most famous guest. Peter Abelard, condemned the year before at the Council of Soissons and unable to stay at Saint-Denis, came to Provins under the protection of Count Thibaut of Champagne and was taken in by Robert, prior of Saint-Ayoul. From here he went on to found the Paraclete, the house he later handed to Héloïse. It is a good place to stand and think about how much of 12th-century intellectual life ran through the same network of patronage as the cloth trade.

The visit is self-guided with an audio guide and runs about 45 minutes. You get the cloister, with a view out over the lower town; the chapter house, with its architecture intact; the Benedictine chapel and its great apse, finished around 1280 and set off the axis of the church; the radiating chapels; wall paintings and painted finishes at the crossing; and a cut through the transept floor showing the soil layers from the 11th century to the 20th. There is a medieval medicinal plant garden. The church portal carries bronze sculpture by Georges Jeanclos, made 1985–88, and the modern glass is by Udo Zembok — both recent, both unmistakable, and worth ten minutes of the forty-five.

The ticket is valid for the whole of the day’s opening period, so you can go out and come back.

What visitors say

4.6 from 124 ratings

  • Masumi Izawa

    5 out of 5 3 months ago

    Unique 1,000+ year-old site next to the Church of Saint Ayoul. It's small and only opened in recent years. Great place to escape the heat. Come on a Saturday morning and the local Provins market stands will be in the area.

    Read this review on Google
  • Frederic Luchez

    5 out of 5 4 months ago

    We received a warm welcome from the lady at the ticket office, who greeted us with a broad smile and provided us with audio guides and several interesting explanations. The visit began and continued smoothly. The cloister, in particular, is well worth a visit. A must-see for history buffs and everyone else.

    Read this review on Google
  • Spoorthi G

    5 out of 5 2 years ago

    Definitely recommend a visit. Don't forget to take the audio guide as it was very informative.

    Read this review on Google

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

What is the Prieuré Saint-Ayoul?

A Benedictine priory in the lower town of Provins, founded in 1048 around the relics of Saint Aigulphe and rebuilt after a fire in 1157. Provins' September Champagne fair was held around it and took its name.

Did Abelard stay at Provins?

Yes. In 1122, after his condemnation at the Council of Soissons, Peter Abelard took refuge at the priory of Saint-Ayoul with the prior Robert, under the protection of the count of Champagne. He went on to found the Paraclete nearby.

How much does the Prieuré Saint-Ayoul cost and how long does it take?

€5 for an adult and €3 for a child aged 4–12 as of August 2026, or included in the Pass Provins. The audio-guided visit lasts about 45 minutes and the ticket is valid for the whole of that day's opening period.

What do you actually see inside?

The cloister, the chapter house, the Benedictine chapel with its off-axis apse of about 1280, the radiating chapels, wall paintings at the crossing, an excavated section showing soil layers from the 11th to the 20th century, and a medieval medicinal plant garden.

Is the priory in the upper town?

No. It is in the lower town, about 15 minutes' walk downhill from the Tour César and roughly on the way to the railway station.

Festivals in Provins

Medieval festivals in Provins
Featured
Medieval Markets & Fairs Music, Feasts & Theatre +1

Les Médiévales de Provins

Provins, France

Les Médiévales de Provins turn the UNESCO-listed upper town into a two-day medieval fair each June, with a market of around 320 stalls, tournaments, a Saturday-night ball and concert and a Sunday parade of about 700 costumed participants. Held since 1984, it attracted 120,000 visitors in 2025, the largest attendance of any medieval festival in France.

Expected 2027
Family

More places in Provins

Places in Provins
Castle Start here

Tour César

12th century, probably after 1150, under the counts of Champagne; roof 16th–17th century

The 12th-century keep of the counts of Champagne, built as an octagon standing on a square base — a plan with no known parallel anywhere. Climb it for the guardroom at the crossing point of the wall passages, and for the roof walk, which lays out the whole fair town: the ramparts, Saint-Quiriace, and the plain the cloth carts came across.

Good with children Free or cheap
Walking directions
Museum

Grange aux Dîmes

Built 13th century as a merchant's house; leased to Toulouse merchants in 1223; listed monument since 1847

A 13th-century merchant's house on rue Saint-Jean, rented by traders from Toulouse in 1223 and later used to store the tithe, which is where the misleading name comes from. The audio guide walks you through the trades of the Champagne fairs — the money-changer, the Flemish cloth merchant, the letter-writer — so do this one before anything else in Provins.

Works in the rain Good with children Free or cheap
Walking directions
Landmark

The Ramparts and the Porte Saint-Jean

11th–13th centuries; about 1.2 km survives of an original circuit of some 5 km

About 1.2 km of 11th–13th-century wall along the west and north front of the upper town, 25 m high in places, with the Porte Saint-Jean and the Porte de Jouy still closing the two roads in. It is free and open at every hour: walk the outside first, along the allée des Remparts under the towers, then climb onto the wall from the inside at either gate.

Free or cheap Best in the evening Quiet corner
Walking directions