Medieval Booker

Museum ◆ Provins

Musée de Provins et du Provinois

The town museum, housed in the Maison Romane — a 12th-century house that is one of the oldest civil buildings standing in Provins. Go for the medieval floor tiles, the architectural sculpture salvaged from demolished houses, and the treasury of Saint-Quiriace, which is where the collegiate church's silver and vestments live while the church itself is shut for restoration.

Where and when

Where
7 rue du Palais, 77160 Provins (Ville Haute), Provins, France Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
Maison Romane: 12th-century façade and lower hall; collections from prehistory to c. 1914
Opening
13 June–20 September daily 11:00–18:30; 7 February–12 June and 21 September–1 November daily 12:00–17:30; 3 January–6 February and 2 November–20 December weekends and public holidays 12:00–17:30. Closed 23 August and 21 December–1 January 2027 (as of August 2026)
Price
€5 adult, €2.50 child 4–12 and reduced; included in the Pass Provins (from €9.50) (as of August 2026)
Best time
Late morning in summer, when it opens at 11:00; the rest of the year it does not open until midday, so put it after lunch.
Good for
Works in the rainFree or cheapQuiet corner
Official site
provins.net
Map showing where Musée de Provins et du Provinois is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is Musée de Provins et du Provinois?

The building is half the reason to come. The Maison Romane has a 12th-century façade of small regular masonry with a diamond-patterned opening, and a 12th-century lower hall — a rare survival of ordinary high-status domestic building from the fair period, when Provins was one of the largest towns in the kingdom of France. It is a listed monument in its own right.

Inside, about ten rooms on four levels take the region from prehistory to the eve of the First World War. The medieval rooms are the ones worth your forty-five minutes:

  • A collection of medieval floor tiles — glazed and inlaid paving from the town’s churches and houses, the kind of thing usually seen in fragments in reserve collections and here shown as a series.
  • Medieval and Renaissance sculpture, including carved architectural pieces rescued from Provins buildings that no longer exist. If you have walked the upper town wondering what came off the demolished houses, it is in here.
  • The treasury of Saint-Quiriace: goldsmiths’ work, a 15th-century Trinitarian icon (under restoration as of 2026) and the chasuble of Saint Edme, a 13th-century silk lampas. A silk vestment in a town that made its money on cloth is exactly the right object in the right place.
  • An odd, good series on the local masonic lodge — aprons, medals, diplomas, instruction books. Look at it after the underground galleries, where the freemasons’ graffiti is part of the story.

The collegiate church of Saint-Quiriace, a hundred metres up the street, is closed to the public for major restoration as of August 2026, so this is currently the only way to see anything that belongs to it.

The museum is at 7 rue du Palais, a short walk from Place du Châtel and the Tour César. Allow about 45 minutes. Note the unusual hours: it opens at midday for most of the year and only in the middle of the day in winter.

What visitors say

3.8 from 210 ratings

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

What building is the Provins museum in?

The Maison Romane, one of the oldest surviving civil buildings in Provins, with a 12th-century façade of small regular masonry and a 12th-century lower hall. It is a listed historic monument.

What medieval things are in the museum?

A collection of medieval floor tiles, medieval and Renaissance sculpture including architectural fragments from demolished town houses, and the treasury of Saint-Quiriace — goldsmiths' work, a 15th-century Trinitarian icon and the 13th-century silk lampas chasuble of Saint Edme.

How much is the Musée de Provins et du Provinois?

€5 for an adult and €2.50 for a child aged 4–12 or reduced rate, as of August 2026, or included in the Pass Provins.

Can I visit the Collégiale Saint-Quiriace instead?

Not inside. The collegiate church is closed to the public for major restoration work as of August 2026 and can only be seen from outside. Its treasury is displayed in the museum.

How long does the museum take?

About 45 minutes for the ten rooms across four levels.

Festivals in Provins

Medieval festivals in Provins
Featured
Medieval Markets & Fairs Music, Feasts & Theatre +1

Les Médiévales de Provins

Provins, France

Les Médiévales de Provins turn the UNESCO-listed upper town into a two-day medieval fair each June, with a market of around 320 stalls, tournaments, a Saturday-night ball and concert and a Sunday parade of about 700 costumed participants. Held since 1984, it attracted 120,000 visitors in 2025, the largest attendance of any medieval festival in France.

Expected 2027
Family

More places in Provins

Places in Provins
Castle Start here

Tour César

12th century, probably after 1150, under the counts of Champagne; roof 16th–17th century

The 12th-century keep of the counts of Champagne, built as an octagon standing on a square base — a plan with no known parallel anywhere. Climb it for the guardroom at the crossing point of the wall passages, and for the roof walk, which lays out the whole fair town: the ramparts, Saint-Quiriace, and the plain the cloth carts came across.

Good with children Free or cheap
Walking directions
Museum

Grange aux Dîmes

Built 13th century as a merchant's house; leased to Toulouse merchants in 1223; listed monument since 1847

A 13th-century merchant's house on rue Saint-Jean, rented by traders from Toulouse in 1223 and later used to store the tithe, which is where the misleading name comes from. The audio guide walks you through the trades of the Champagne fairs — the money-changer, the Flemish cloth merchant, the letter-writer — so do this one before anything else in Provins.

Works in the rain Good with children Free or cheap
Walking directions
Landmark

The Ramparts and the Porte Saint-Jean

11th–13th centuries; about 1.2 km survives of an original circuit of some 5 km

About 1.2 km of 11th–13th-century wall along the west and north front of the upper town, 25 m high in places, with the Porte Saint-Jean and the Porte de Jouy still closing the two roads in. It is free and open at every hour: walk the outside first, along the allée des Remparts under the towers, then climb onto the wall from the inside at either gate.

Free or cheap Best in the evening Quiet corner
Walking directions