Medieval Booker

Church ◆ Nuremberg

Frauenkirche and the Hauptmarkt

Charles IV's imperial court chapel of the 1350s on the east side of the main square, with the mechanical clock of 1509 in its west gable. Stand in the square at noon: the seven prince-electors process past the seated emperor, it takes four minutes, and it is over before most of the crowd has worked out where to look.

Where and when

Where
Hauptmarkt 14, 90403 Nürnberg, Nuremberg, Germany Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
Frauenkirche mid-14th century for Charles IV; art clock 1509; Schöner Brunnen 1385–96, present copy 1903
Opening
Männleinlaufen daily at 12:00, about four minutes. Interior hours are set by the Catholic parish, are commonly given as Monday–Saturday 10:00–18:00 and Sunday 13:00–18:00, and change for services — the city does not publish them, so check the door (as of August 2026)
Price
Free. The Männleinlaufen is watched from the square and costs nothing; the church interior and the Tucher altar are free to enter (as of August 2026)
Best time
Be in the square by 11:50 and stand well back on the west side, by the Schöner Brunnen — from directly beneath the gable you cannot see the figures at all.
Good for
Free or cheapGood with children
Official site
www.nuernberg.de
Map showing where Frauenkirche and the Hauptmarkt is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is Frauenkirche and the Hauptmarkt?

The Hauptmarkt is not an organic medieval square. It was cleared and laid out around 1350 on the ground of Nuremberg’s Jewish quarter, destroyed in the pogrom of December 1349, and Charles IV had the Frauenkirche built as an imperial court chapel on the site of the demolished synagogue. It is a hall church of the Parler period, mid-14th century, with a stepped gable, a slender turret and a porch facing the market.

The Männleinlaufen in the west gable dates from 1509. Every day at 12:00 the bells ring, trumpeters, drummers and pipers play, doors open, and the seven prince-electors process round the seated figure of Charles IV — a mechanical restatement of the Golden Bull of 1356, on the building of the emperor who issued it. The whole thing lasts about four minutes.

Be clear what you are watching. The city’s building department, which maintains the clock, states that the Frauenkirche and its art clock were completely destroyed on 2 January 1945 and that a replacement movement was installed in 1953. The figures themselves were among the objects sheltered in the art bunker under the castle hill. What runs at noon is therefore 16th-century sculpture driven by post-war machinery on a rebuilt gable.

Inside, free of charge, is the Tucher altar of about 1445, the most important panel painting in Nuremberg before Dürer.

In the north-west corner of the square stands the Schöner Brunnen, a 19 m stone spire in the shape of a Gothic church tower carrying 40 figures in four tiers — prophets, evangelists, church fathers, and on the third tier the seven electors and the Nine Worthies. Heinrich Beheim built the original between 1385 and 1396. What stands on the Hauptmarkt today is a shell-limestone copy of 1903; surviving pieces of the original are in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum. Set into the ironwork railing of 1587 is a seamless brass ring people queue to turn for a wish. There is no medieval evidence for that custom whatsoever, and turning it is free.

What visitors say

4.7 from 2,335 ratings

  • AleksNet

    4 out of 5 2 months ago

    A very beautiful and important place in the center of Nuremberg. Frauenkirche and Hauptmarkt together create one of the most recognizable and atmospheric parts of the old town. It is a place where history, architecture, city life, and tradition meet in a very natural way. What I especially liked is the feeling of the square. The church stands directly on Hauptmarkt, surrounded by people, market life, historical buildings, and the movement of the city. It feels both historical and alive at the same time. The church itself is very impressive from the outside, especially because of its Gothic architecture and details on the facade. If you look closely, there are many small elements that are easy to miss during a quick visit. The clock and decorative details make the building even more interesting. I would also like to mention that I found this place with the help of the Penguindor app — the “penguin” that helps you discover interesting places nearby. Thanks to it, I discovered this not only as a central square, but as a place with real historical and cultural meaning. Overall, Frauenkirche and Hauptmarkt are among the most important places to visit in Nuremberg. It is a perfect central stop during a walk through the old town.

    Read this review on Google
  • Monica Angela

    5 out of 5 4 months ago

    The cathedral looks impressive, it's special, it has medieval coats of arms everywhere inside, it's something special, lots of special bas-reliefs, extraordinary stained glass windows.

    Read this review on Google
  • Chandan Mahimkar

    5 out of 5 7 months ago

    The church is beautiful in Gothic architecture at this market square. Lovely area and atmosphere around and not too crowded on a Sunday.

    Read this review on Google

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

What time is the Männleinlaufen in Nuremberg?

Every day at 12:00 noon, on the west gable of the Frauenkirche on the Hauptmarkt. It lasts about four minutes and is free to watch from the square.

How old is the Männleinlaufen clock?

The clock dates from 1509. The Frauenkirche and its art clock were destroyed on 2 January 1945 and a replacement movement was installed in 1953; the figures had been sheltered in the art bunker under the castle hill.

Is the Schöner Brunnen original?

No. Heinrich Beheim built the original between 1385 and 1396; what stands on the Hauptmarkt is a shell-limestone copy of 1903, and surviving fragments of the original are in the Germanisches Nationalmuseum.

What is the brass ring on the Schöner Brunnen?

A seamless brass ring set into the wrought-iron railing of 1587, which visitors turn for a wish. The custom has no medieval basis, but it costs nothing.

Why was the Frauenkirche built on the Hauptmarkt?

Charles IV had it built in the mid-14th century as an imperial court chapel on the site of the demolished synagogue of Nuremberg's Jewish quarter, which was destroyed in the pogrom of December 1349. The market square was laid out on the same cleared ground.

Festivals in Nuremberg

Medieval festivals in Nuremberg
Medieval Christmas

Nürnberger Christkindlesmarkt

Nuremberg, Germany

Nuremberg's Christkindlesmarkt fills the Hauptmarkt and the Rathausplatz from the Friday before the first Advent to Christmas Eve with 168 red-and-white wooden stalls and about 180 traders, opened each year by the Christkind's prologue from the gallery of the Frauenkirche and drawing around two million people; the 2026 market runs 27 November to 24 December. It is not a medieval market: the square is 14th-century and the Frauenkirche was Charles IV's imperial court chapel, but the market itself is first documented in 1678 — a date the market's own historians revised from 1628 — and t...

2026
Family

More places in Nuremberg

Places in Nuremberg
Castle Start here

Kaiserburg (Imperial Castle)

Palas and double chapel from c. 1200; Sinwell tower later 13th century; Palas rebuilt after 1945

The Hohenstaufen castle on the sandstone ridge above the old town, held by the emperors from about 1200 and bought outright by the city between 1422 and 1427. The Palas you tour was rebuilt after 1945; the Romanesque double chapel beside it came through the bombing almost undamaged, so go there first and look down through the opening in the floor.

Good with children Quiet corner
Walking directions
Museum

Germanisches Nationalmuseum

Founded 1852 in the Carthusian monastery of 1380; collections from prehistory to the present

The largest museum of cultural history in the German-speaking world, founded in 1852 and built into and around a late-medieval Carthusian monastery. Two things justify the visit on their own: the arms and armour hall, and Martin Behaim's terrestrial globe of 1492, the oldest globe in existence.

Works in the rain Good with children Free or cheap
Walking directions
Church

St Lorenz

Begun c. 1250; hall choir 1439–77; Kraft's tabernacle 1493–96; Stoss's Annunciation 1517–18

The great parish church of the southern half of the city, begun about 1250 and finished with a late-Gothic hall choir between 1439 and 1477. Two things in it are worth the trip: Adam Kraft's 20-metre stone tabernacle of 1493–96, which he signed by carving himself kneeling under it, and Veit Stoss's suspended Annunciation of 1517–18.

Free or cheap Works in the rain Quiet corner
Walking directions