Medieval Booker

Church ◆ Avignon

Cathédrale Notre-Dame des Doms

The Provençal Romanesque cathedral of about 1150 that the popes found already standing and built their palace against, free to enter and skipped by most of the queue next door. Go in for the canopied tomb of John XXII, the pope who ruled here for eighteen years and is still lying in his own chapel.

Where and when

Where
Place du Palais, 84000 Avignon, Avignon, France Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
Provençal Romanesque, built c. 1150; papal tombs and Gothic chapels added from the 14th century
Opening
Avignon Tourisme lists 08:30–17:30 Tuesday to Friday, weekends and public holidays through 2026, closing at 17:00 in winter, and notes that hours depend on staff availability. Mondays are not listed. It closes for services (as of August 2026)
Price
Free. A donation of around €2 is suggested at the door (as of August 2026)
Best time
On your way up to the Rocher des Doms, before or after the palace — it is thirty seconds from the palace gate and takes twenty minutes. Morning light comes through the south chapels, which is where the tombs are.
Good for
Free or cheapQuiet cornerWorks in the rain
Official site
avignon-tourisme.com
Map showing where Cathédrale Notre-Dame des Doms is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is Cathédrale Notre-Dame des Doms?

The cathedral came first. It was built around 1150 in Provençal Romanesque — heavy, plain, round-arched — and the popes simply annexed the rock beside it from 1335. The result is the odd silhouette on the Place du Palais: a small 12th-century church wedged against the largest Gothic palace in Europe.

The porch is the first thing to look at, and it is not Romanesque-looking at all: a triangular pediment on fluted columns with Corinthian capitals, copied from Roman work in the region. From 1336 Cardinal Jacopo Stefaneschi commissioned Simone Martini, the Sienese master, to paint frescoes on it. Do not look for them here. What survives — mainly the sinopie, the red underdrawings on the wall beneath the lost paint, showing Christ blessing and a Virgin and Child — was lifted and is displayed in the Palais des Papes next door. It is one of the strongest reasons to buy the palace ticket.

Inside, the building is a single Romanesque nave with an octagonal dome, hung about with Gothic and later side chapels added between the 14th and 17th centuries. Three things are worth hunting for. The tomb of Pope John XXII (d. 1334) stands in the chapel built for it on the south side — a tall flamboyant canopy of Pernes stone, attributed to an English sculptor, and the grandest papal tomb left standing in France. It was mutilated at the Revolution and clumsily patched afterwards; the little mourner figures from its funeral procession were dispersed, and some of them are now in the Petit Palais fifty metres away, which is a good reason to do both in one morning. The cathedral treasury was installed around the tomb in 1993. Benedict XII, the pope who began the palace, has a second Gothic tomb here. And the cathedra — the white marble bishop’s throne of the 12th century, carved with a lion for St Mark and an ox for St Luke — is the oldest thing in the building.

The enormous gilded Virgin on the tower is not medieval: a lead statue of four and a half tonnes, put up in 1859 and re-gilded for the Jubilee in 2000. It is what you see from every street in Avignon.

Entry is free. It is a working cathedral, the seat of the archbishop, and it closes for services.

What visitors say

4.5 from 895 ratings

  • Seokjin Ham

    5 out of 5 a year ago

    This is Avignon’s principal Romanesque cathedral, originally constructed around 1150. When the Papacy relocated to Avignon in the 14th century, the cathedral became the site of major papal liturgical ceremonies and masses. Its proximity to the Palais des Papes elevated its religious and symbolic status significantly. The building has undergone several restorations, especially in the late 19th century, which preserved its original Romanesque structure while incorporating Gothic and Baroque elements. One of its most striking features is the gilded statue of the Virgin Mary atop the western façade, visible from many parts of the city. Inside, the cathedral houses the marble tomb of Pope John XXII, making it not only a religious but also a historical monument closely tied to Avignon’s unique role in Church history.

    Read this review on Google
  • Maria

    5 out of 5 a year ago

    Huge church!!! So beautiful, filled with little details. If you want to donate some money, is very easy. Just need to tap the card and choose the amount. When we went, there was someone playing the organ, so beautiful

    Read this review on Google
  • Mike Zito

    5 out of 5 a year ago

    Beautiful cathedral next to the Palace of the Popes. Building started in 1150 and it is now the seat of the archdiocese of Avignon. Pope John XXII mausoleum is in this church. Recommend a short visit, especially if you going to the Palace of the Popes.

    Read this review on Google

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

Is Avignon Cathedral free to enter?

Yes. Entry to Notre-Dame des Doms is free, with a suggested donation of about €2 as of August 2026.

Which popes are buried in Avignon Cathedral?

John XXII, who died in 1334, under a tall flamboyant canopy in the chapel built for him on the south side, and Benedict XII, the pope who began the Palais des Papes. Both tombs are 14th-century and both were damaged at the Revolution.

Where are Simone Martini's frescoes in Avignon?

Not in the cathedral. Martini painted the cathedral porch from 1336 for Cardinal Stefaneschi, but what survives — chiefly the sinopie, the red underdrawings — was removed and is displayed inside the Palais des Papes.

How old is Notre-Dame des Doms?

The Romanesque church dates from about 1150, roughly two centuries before the popes arrived. The Gothic side chapels were added between the 14th and 17th centuries.

What is the gold statue on top of Avignon Cathedral?

A gilded lead statue of the Virgin weighing about four and a half tonnes, placed on the bell tower in 1859 and re-gilded in 2000. It is 19th-century, not medieval.

Festivals in Avignon

Medieval festivals in Avignon
Reenactment & Battles Medieval Markets & Fairs +1

Festival Médiéval de la Rose d'Or

Avignon, France

Every autumn some 60 to 70 historical associations camp on the Île de la Barthelasse, the island in the Rhône facing the Palais des Papes, for a re-enactors' festival with a market, archery, tournaments and a closing battle. Running since 2007 and organised by volunteers without public subsidy, it is one of the largest medieval gatherings in southern France; the 2026 edition, billed as the twentieth, falls on 10–11 October.

2026
Family

More places in Avignon

Places in Avignon
Castle Start here

Palais des Papes

Palais Vieux from 1335 under Benedict XII, Palais Neuf from 1342 under Clement VI; papal residence to 1403; prison and barracks until 1906

Two palaces welded together — Benedict XII's fortress of 1335 and Clement VI's wing of 1342 — and at roughly 15,000 m² the largest Gothic palace in Europe. The rooms are bare because the army used them as a barracks for a century, so go for the four painted spaces that survived and find the Chambre du Cerf first.

Good with children Works in the rain
Walking directions
Museum

Musée du Petit Palais

Cardinal's livrée from the 1310s; archbishops' palace from 1475, rebuilt by Giuliano della Rovere (later Julius II); museum since 1976

The archbishops' palace at the top of the Place du Palais, free to enter, holding over 300 Italian paintings from the Campana collection alongside the best room of 14th-century Avignon sculpture anywhere. Find the fragments of Cardinal Jean de Lagrange's tomb — the earliest French transi, a cardinal carved as a rotting corpse.

Works in the rain Free or cheap Quiet corner
Walking directions
Landmark

Pont Saint-Bénézet

Built from the late 12th century, traditionally begun 1177; 22 arches originally, 4 today; abandoned after the flood of 1669

Four arches of a bridge that once had twenty-two and ran some 900 m across both channels of the Rhône, abandoned in the 17th century after the river knocked it down once too often. Walk out to the end, look at the two-storey chapel built into the second pier, then read the honest note below about the song.

Good with children Free or cheap
Walking directions