Medieval Booker

Landmark ◆ Turku

Koroistenniemi

The headland where the bishop of Finland sat from 1229 until the cathedral was consecrated downstream in 1300: foundations of a church, a bishop's castle and a sacristan's house, a cemetery of more than three hundred graves, and a white cross where the altar stood. It is free, unfenced and open at any hour, about 2 km up the Aura from the cathedral.

Where and when

Where
Koroistenniemi, on the Aura river between Koroinen and Halinen, Turku — footpath access from Viruskuja, Turku, Finland Open in Google Maps Walking directions
Era
Seat of the bishop of Finland 1229–1300; foundations, cemetery and memorial cross; protected as an ancient monument since 1905
Opening
Open ground, accessible at all hours all year: no gate, no staff, no season. Archaeological work was carried out on the site in June 2026, which can close parts of it temporarily (as of August 2026)
Price
Free. Unfenced open ground with no ticket and no facilities (as of August 2026)
Best time
Late afternoon in spring or autumn, walked to up the Aura riverside path — about half an hour from the cathedral.
Good for
Free or cheapQuiet corner
Map showing where Koroistenniemi is
Open in Google Maps Walking directions © MapTiler © OpenStreetMap contributors

Checked

What is Koroistenniemi?

In 1229 the bishop’s residence was ordered moved to a more suitable place at the mouth of the Aura, and it came here — to the spit of land between the Aura and the Vähäjoki. For seventy years Koroinen was the ecclesiastical and administrative centre of Finland, and its bishops effectively governed the country. In 1300 the seat moved about two kilometres downstream to the newly consecrated cathedral, and this became a field.

What is on the ground is the plan of that establishment: the foundations of the church, of the bishop’s castle and of the sacristan’s house, and a cemetery holding more than three hundred graves. Three bishops are buried here; the last of them, Catillus, died in 1286. A white memorial cross stands where the church stood — it was put up in the early 1950s, so the cross is a monument, not a relic.

The archaeology is the interesting part. Excavations at the turn of the 20th century produced close to three thousand finds: coins, mostly Gotlandic, pottery, window and vessel glass, a brick altar, the base of a font, and the remains of a hypocaust heating system — a heated room, in 13th-century Finland, which tells you what kind of household this was. There was further work in the 1970s, and a new campaign ran in June 2026 looking for the bishop’s manor beside the church. The site has been legally protected as an ancient monument area since 1905.

It is also well placed. Koroistenniemi sits within about two kilometres of all three surviving medieval churches of the Turku area — the cathedral downstream, St Mary’s at Maaria to the north-east and St Catherine’s at Nummi to the south-east — and local accounts say all three can be seen from the headland on a clear day.

Be honest about the visit. There is no building, no ticket office, no café and no season. There is grass, stone footings and a cross, reached on the Aura riverside path, about half an hour’s walk up from the cathedral. If you have read anything about the Finnish church in the 13th century it is where the thing began. If you have not, it is a river meadow.

What visitors say

4.4 from 166 ratings

  • Yiğit Ömür

    5 out of 5 a year ago

    peaceful area with the remains of the base of one the oldest buildings in Turku

    Read this review on Google
  • alex

    4 out of 5 7 years ago

    Historically important site, but nothing historical to see here. The view of the river is beautiful, and the place is very pleasant for a picnic. Easy access from the city centre, just follow the trail that goes along the river.

    Read this review on Google
  • Dorje Chen

    4 out of 5 7 years ago

    The area is very peaceful. It's mostly nature, so there's not a lot to see in terms of tourist attractions. The cafe is only open on Sundays.

    Read this review on Google

Ratings and reviews from Google. See all on Google Maps

Frequently asked questions

What is Koroistenniemi?

The headland between the Aura and Vähä rivers where the bishop of Finland had his seat from 1229 until the cathedral was consecrated about two kilometres downstream in 1300. It is the place modern Turku grew out of.

What can you actually see at Koroinen?

The stone foundations of the bishop's church, his castle and the sacristan's house, a cemetery with more than three hundred graves, and a white memorial cross standing where the church was. The cross was erected in the early 1950s.

Who is buried at Koroinen?

More than three hundred people, among them three bishops. The last of them, Catillus, died in 1286.

Is Koroistenniemi free to visit?

Yes. It is unfenced open ground with no ticket, no gate and no season. It has been protected as an ancient monument area since 1905.

How do you get to Koroistenniemi?

On foot or by bike up the Aura riverside path — roughly 2 km, about half an hour, from the cathedral. Footpath access is from Viruskuja, where there is a campfire site by the pedestrian bridge.

Festivals in Turku

Medieval festivals in Turku
Featured
Medieval Markets & Fairs Living History & Museums +1

Turku Medieval Market

Turku, Finland

The Medieval Market of Turku fills the Old Great Square and surrounding streets with four days of free market stalls, craft demonstrations, music and a daily street play every year at the end of June. Held since 1996, it is Finland's largest medieval event, with attendance reported at well over 100,000.

Expected 2027
Free Family

More places in Turku

Places in Turku
Castle Start here

Turku Castle

Begun c. 1280; keep finished early 15th century; Renaissance bailey and floors 1556–63

Begun about 1280 at the mouth of the Aura and the largest surviving medieval building in Finland: a grey granite keep with a Renaissance bailey built around it in the 16th century. Find the Nun's Chapel in the old castle — it holds a 14th-century painting of the Virgin by the Master of Lieto, the oldest object in the building.

Good with children Works in the rain
Walking directions
Museum

Aboa Vetus Ars Nova

Medieval Convent Quarter; merchant-house cellars of the 14th and 15th centuries, excavated in the early 1990s and shown in situ

The only archaeological museum in Finland: a block of medieval cellars and one of Turku's main medieval streets, excavated under the Rettig Palace and left exactly where they were found. Ask for the €14 Aboa Vetus-only ticket if you do not want the contemporary art half, and come on a Monday, when the castle and Luostarinmäki are shut and this is open.

Works in the rain Good with children
Walking directions
Church

Turku Cathedral

Consecrated 17 June 1300; enlarged through the 15th century; tower rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1827

Finland's national shrine, consecrated on 17 June 1300, and closed. The whole building is shut to visitors from 9 February 2026 until 2 December 2028 for a full renovation, so plan on the outside of it and nothing more.

Free or cheap
Walking directions